Here’s an audition notice for the Sands Theater Company production of Sweeney Todd:
Sands Theater Company will hold open auditions for Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd on July 19 and 20 at the Athens Theatre Annex at 7pm. The Athens Annex is located at 108 N. Florida Avenue in downtown DeLand on the same block as the theater.
Performance will be held on October 29, 30, 31*, November 4, 5, 6, 7*, 12, 13, 14* at the Athens. All shows start at 730 pm except for Sunday *Matinees at 230 p.
This musical thriller tells the infamous tale of the unjustly exiled barber who returns to 19th century London seeking revenge against the lecherous judge who framed him and ravaged his young wife. Sweeney Todd was written by Hugh Wheeler, music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Clark Adams will direct this production and musical direction will be provided by Richard Wyrick.
Music rehearsals will begin in early August with rehearsals held 2 to 3 times per week, for 6 weeks. Beginning in mid-September, Rehearsals will be 4 times per week. Rehearsals will be held at Athens Theater Annex located at 108 N. Florida Avenue, near the theater. The last two weeks of rehearsals will be held in the Athens Theater.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMPANY ONLY ACCEPTS YOUNG ADULTS AGES 17+.
NOTES/WHAT TO BRING: Please prepare 16-32 bars of classic/standard musical theatre song that showcases both range and acting ability. Please, no pop/rock. Singing from the show is welcome. Bring sheet music in the appropriate key. An accompanist will be provided. Have resume/headshot. Please prepare a 1 to 2 minute monologue.
No appointments. Sign-ins are accepted starting at 6:30 pm. Auditions will begin at 7:00 pm. Actors will be seen in the order in which they arrive.
- Sweeney Todd (Male, 40s-50s) A murderous barber, he finds vengeance in his blades by systematically slitting the throats of all his enemies. He is consumed by his thirst for blood. Strong bass-baritone up to an F singing voice.
- Mrs. Lovett (Female, 40s-50s) Worn-down owner of a pie shop on Fleet Street. Hard-edged but with a sense of humor. Lovett aids Sweeney in his massacre by making meat pies out of his victims. Strong alto or mezzo-soprano singing voice.
- Judge (Male, 40s-60s) Contemporary of Sweeney’s and the man responsible for his downfall. Pompous, self-centered and powerful. He plans to wed his charge Johanna. Strong baritone singing voice.
- Johanna (Female, 20s) Young, ingénue. Sweeney’s daughter. Young, innocent, romantic and beautiful. She becomes the ward of the Judge who wants to make her his wife. Beautiful soprano singing voice (to Db).
- Anthony (Male, 20s) Young, modern romantic. A sailor who meets and helps Sweeney on his return to London. He falls in love with Johanna. Strong tenor or bari/tenor singing voice.
- Tobias (Male, 20s) Young and vulnerable. Assistant to Pirelli, he is an orphan. He comes to view Mrs. Lovett as a surrogate mother figure. He is the glass through which this production is viewed. Strong tenor singing voice.
- Beadle (Male, 30s-50s) Sleazy, menacing. Henchman of the Judge. Serving as the Judge’s right-hand man, he can be subtly terrifying or outright threatening. Strong Baritone-tenor singing voice.
- Pirelli (Female, 30s-40s) An Italian traveling salesperson/ scam artist. Also plays nurse/overseer in insane asylum Long-winded and brazen. Strong mezzo-soprano or soprano singing voice.
- Beggar Woman (Female, 30s-40s) Once glamorous, she’s a mentally unstable homeless woman and prostitute. Strong soprano singing voice (to Db) with strong belt voice.
- Fogg (Male or Female, 30s-50s) the stern head of the Asylum for the mentally insane where Johanna gets put away. Sings in ensemble numbers. Strong Baritone singing voice.
For questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org