Here’s an audition notice from Breakthrough Theatre of Winter Park:
The Breakthrough Theatre of Winter Park will hold auditions for the Lanie Robertson play The Insanity of Mary Girard on Saturday, August 28, and Sunday, August 29, from 12-5 p.m.
Unable to find her wealthy, older, and very powerful husband, Mary Girard find herself committed to an asylum for the insane. Having no rights in colonial America, Mary struggles to fight the demons within as she tries to keep her sanity and convince everyone – including herself – that she is sane. This story is based on true historical people and medical practices used during the early days of psychiatry.
The show will run Oct. 22-24 and 29-31 and will be directed by Seth Lindsey.
The audition will consist of cold readings. Please bring a head shot/resume if you have one.
Looking for Actors/ Actresses of all ages and races.
- MARY GIRARD: Female. She is a very strong and resilient woman. She fights for what she believes in and is not afraid to get her hands dirty. She was not raised with money, but married into it.
- STEPHEN GIRARD: Male. He is responsible for locking Mary up in the Insane Asylum. He comes from a lot of money and is used to getting whatever he wants, no matter the consequences.
- THE WARDER: Male. Should think of himself as a “regressed child.” The warder is the man who is in charge of the keys at the prison. He speaks with an Irish accent.
- MRS. LUM: Female. acts as the tormentor of Mary – the voice that keeps nagging her. Mrs. Lum, Mary’s mother, is a simple woman who is trying to look out for her daughter; but does not go about it in the most pleasant of ways.
- POLLY KEATON: Female. around the same age as Mary, is the woman who Mary believes is having an affair with her husband, Stephen. She is the housekeeper at the Girard home.
- MR. PHILLIPS: Male. same age as Mr. Girard. Fury should be “active/passive” and always in a catatonic state. Mr. Phillips is a well spoken man, but overall looks out for himself. He does not want to cause any trouble.
- MRS. HATCHER: Female. The follower of the group, she goes along with what other characters are doing. Mrs. Hatcher is in her late 20’s, early 30’s and is middle class. She boarders on “insane” herself.
- FURIES: Inmates of the asylum
No appointments will be taken, auditions will be on a first come first serve basis.
The Breakthrough Theatre is located at 419A W. Fairbanks Avenue in Winter Park. The contact phone number is 407-920-4034.