Here’s an audition notice from Breakthrough Theatre of Winter Park:
Directed by Wade Hair
Nuncrackers: The Nunsense Christmas Musical is the first “TV Special” taped by the sisters from in their convent basement studio for Cable Access. It stars the nuns you love from Nunsense plus Father Virgil and some of Mt. Saint Helen’s most talented students. This show is filled with “Nunsense” humor, some of your favorite carols, a “Secret Santa,” and an uproarious take on Tchaikovsky’s Nutcrack…er Ballet. Nuncrackers will make you laugh and maybe tug at your heartstrings. It’s the perfect way to insure your holiday season is merry and bright.
Auditions will be held:
Saturday, October 16, from 3-5 p.m.
Sunday, October 17, from 7-9 p.m.
Please prepare 16 bars of two contrasting songs. A piano accompanist will be provided. Choose a song in the style of the character you want.
- Sister Mary Regina (mezzo/soprano with good low notes, G to C), the Mother Superior. Grew up in a circus family and her “showbiz” background and humor shines through her attempt at creating a rough exterior.
- Sister Mary Hubert (Gospel-style mezzo belt B flat to F). Mistress of Novices, Second in command and very practical. A gospel voice a plus.
- Sister Robert Anne (Broadway mezzo belt A to D#). streetwise nun from Brooklyn. A tough cookie with a heart of gold. feels her theatrical potential is not appreciated by Mother Superior, who refuses to let her “star” in the show. Must be a belter!
- Sister Mary Paul (Country-style mezzo belter F# to C). Hit on the head with a crucifix and for a long time, didn’t remember who she was; now, with her memory restored, she is known as a country singer and the first nun to appear at the Grand Ole Opry; still seems a “little vacant”, but is innocently endearing. She sings country music.
- Sister Mary Leo (mezzo belter A to D#). dedicated her life to becoming the first famous nun ballerina so is very excited to be in the Christmas show.
- Father Virgil Manly Trott (tenor / high baritone C to E, 30 – 55). Sister Leo’s “real life” brother. Has his own radio show and was part of the Trott Family Singers.
- Mount Saint Helen’s Students (A flat to F). Two boys and two girls, ages 8-14.
Males AND females may audition for the nun roles!
Rehearsals will run from November 6-December 2.
The show will run from December 3-19.
Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m., Sundays at 3 p.m., AND Monday, 12/6 and 12/13, AND Thursday, 12/9 and 12/16.