Here’s a call to playwrights for Playwrights’ Round Table’s 2011 Launch:
Call for Launch 2011 Scripts
Playwrights’ Round Table is now seeking 10 minute plays for its 14th annual Launch festival, to be staged in early January 2011 in Orlando at the John and Rita Lowndes Shakespeare Center. This competition is open to Florida playwrights, primarily those of the Central Florida region. As always, there is no fee to submit a play; however, if selected, and not already a member, the playwright must become a member of Playwrights’ Round Table for a minimum of one season (the current membership dues are $30), and must be available for an on-camera interview in person at the Orange TV studios in Orlando on January 30, 2011. Transportation and other expenses in relation to this interview are the sole responsibility of the playwright.
The guidelines for the Launch 2011 script call are as follows:
1. Plays must run approximately 10 minutes (or around 10 pages of dialogue in Playscript format). Minimal staging and casting requirements are required as the plays are to be performed in a small black box. Subject matter is open, but please, no nudity. Plays produced in Central Florida within the past 4 years are not eligible for consideration.
2. Scripts should be properly formatted and submitted electronically in .doc (MS Word 2003) format. We will occasionally accept other formats, but reserve the right to request that the playwright re-submit their script(s) in order to be considered. Please number the pages.
3. Plays should be emailed to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for consideration in the Launch 2011 festival is 11:59 pm Eastern Time, October 31, 2010. Winners will be notified via email and granted the option of being produced.
4. Please include the following information: name, e-mail address, contact phone number, and place of residence. Optionally, you may also include a resume in a separate attachment from submissions.
5. Winning playwrights, if not currently PRT Members, shall be required to join PRT prior to production for a minimum of one season. Our current Membership dues are $30 per annum. Membership and payment option questions can be directed to email@example.com.
6. PRT has an agreement with Orange TV (a local Central Florida public access cable channel) to film the winning Launch 2011 productions. By submitting, the playwright grants PRT non-exclusive rights to produce the play; the playwright also grants OTV and PRT the right to film and broadcast the play. The playwright additionally grants PRT and OTV the right to modify or remove words and actions which may violate local community and FCC standards for the filmed and broadcast version of these productions. PRT requests that the playwright be a part of this process to help ensure the integrity of the playwright’s work.
7. The playwright agrees to be interviewed by Orange TV as part of the filming proces, and make themselves available in Orlando for the interview January 30 at their own expense.
8. All scripts submitted to the Launch 2011 festival will be reviewed by PRT’s Reading Committee. Feedback from these reviewers is available to PRT Members only, at the playwright’s request. All playwrights have the option to join PRT as a member, at a minimum of one season, for $30 per annum. Membership and payment questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Doing so immediately grants the playwright the option of receiving their submission’s feedback upon the end of the adjudication cycle for all scripts that have been submitted for this submission cycle and beyond until the playwright’s PRT Membership lapses.
So, playwrights, to pen … and good luck!