Here’s a job posting from Orlando Repertory Theatre:
Orlando Repertory Theatre is seeking a full-time Assistant Technical Director.
Under the direction of Orlando Repertory Theater (the Rep) Technical Director and Production Manager, the Assistant Technical Director (ATD) will maintain the Rep’s high standard for safety and craftsmanship while carrying out scene shop responsibilities for production season as well as other related duties as assigned.
• Perform duties as head carpenter in the scene shop.
• Serve as instructor and master craftsperson for shop interns and overhire crews.
• Assist the Technical Director in creating technical solutions for various scenic and rigging challenges.
• Read and interpret shop drawings and renderings.
• Plan the construction projects as assigned, determine proper sequence of operation, as well as space, tools and materials required.
• Develop cut-lists, and use a variety of tools, processes, and materials to construct scenery.
• Participate in the installation and strike for all productions.
• Work occasional nights and weekends.
• In conjunction with the production staff maintain a safe, efficient, organized, and clean working environment of all shop and production operations.
• Develop construction sketches/drafting for production or shop projects.
• Act as shopper/buyer for productions as assigned.
• Perform maintenance and repair of shop tools and equipment as well as assist in building maintenance.
• Serve as a member of the safety committee.
• Ability to read and interpret shop drawings.
• Extremely proficient in carpentry using various sheet materials (e.g. plywood, MDF, masonite, plexiglass) and stick lumber.
• Proficient in theatrical rigging practice and hardware.
• Knowledgeable in Metalworking and MIG welding.
• Knowledgeable in using scenic fabrics for various tasks (e.g. muslin, burlap, duvetyn, velour, scrim) and basic sewing skills.
• Experience working in a theatrical scene shop environment.
• Strong and demonstrated ability to collaborate with a production team.
• Ability to remain calm and collected under pressure.
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and follow schedules.
• Ability to work independently.
• Valid driver’s license and be comfortable driving a cargo van.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Ability to climb stairs and ladders, and also stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to work at significant elevations (e.g. theater grid or genie upright lift).
• Three to five years experience in technical theater production at a graduate or professional level.
• Degree in technical theater, BA or BFA, is preferred, or equivalent professional experience.
This position is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. To apply please submit a cover letter and resume to Chris Brown, Production Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 17, 2010.
For additional information on Orlando Repertory Theatre, please visit www.orlandorep.com.