Florida Opera Theatre, an organization dedicated to furthering opera in Central Florida, is offering a $1,000 scholarship to a student to attend one of three programs: the Sherrill Milnes and Friends Summer Program in Tampa, a vocal training program for career-seeking artists or the Generation X Summer Youth Intensive.
Here’s more inf0, followed by ways to get in touch with Florida Opera Theatre:
Florida Opera Theatre is offering a $1000 scholarship to one student toward the Sherrill Milnes and Friends Summer Program in Tampa, a vocal training program for career seeking artists or the Generation X Summer Youth Intensive. These programs are presented by The V.O.I.C.Experience Foundation in cooperation with Opera Tampa. This scholarship is for one student and is intended to provide assistance for partial tuition.
Criteria for eligibility are as follows:
- Be a resident of Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Lake, Volusia, or Brevard Counties in the State of Florida. (This criterion can be waived by the Board of Directors at the recommendation of the Selection Committee.)
- Submit a headshot.
- Submit a resume and short biography.
- Submit a CD or DVD of audition music (at least 2 pieces) and/or audition in person if requested by the Selection Committee.
- Submit a letter of recommendation.
- Submit a repertoire list.
- Submit a brief statement of goals and desires.
- Agree to provide one performance at no cost at a Florida Opera Theatre event..
Applicants will be judged on the following criteria:
- Voice and stage presence.
- Seriousness of purpose as evidenced by resume, biography, statement of goals and desires, and recommendation submitted.
A Selection Committee will select up to 2 candidates from the applicants who have met all of the eligibility requirements. These candidates will be ranked number 1 and number 2. The scholarship will go to candidate number 1 unless that candidate is not accepted by V.O.I.C.Experience. In that case, candidate number 2 will receive the scholarship if accepted by V.O.I.C.Experience. If there is no eligible candidate or if neither candidate is accepted by V.O.I.C.Experience, no scholarship will be awarded.
All signed applications and application material, including resume and biography, audition material, letter of recommendation, repertoire list and statement of goals and desires must be received by Florida Opera Theatre by the date stated on the current application form.
The scholarship funds will be paid directly to The V.O.I.C.Experience Foundation and are not transferable for any purpose other than tuition costs.
Selection Committee members, members of the Board of Directors of Florida Opera Theatre and substantial contributors and their relatives shall not be eligible.