It’s time once again for Playwrights’ Round Table to begin gathering scripts for its annual Summer Shorts production. Here’s how to enter:
Playwrights’ Round Table of Orlando is seeking seven 10-minute plays for its annual production of Summer Shorts, to be staged July 21-24 and 27-31, 2011 at the John and Rita Lowndes Shakespeare Center’s Studio B. This competition is open to ALL playwrights; however, weighted preference is given to Florida playwrights, primarily those of the Central Florida region.
There is no fee to submit a play; however, if selected, the playwright must become a member of Playwrights’ Round Table for a minimum of one season (the current membership dues are $30).
The guidelines for the Shorts script call are as follows:
- Plays must be original, previously unproduced works; the only exceptions are for works previously done outside Central Florida, and which have only received a limited amount of production. Plays that have been previously workshopped or presented as a staged reading are acceptable.
- Plays must be approximately 10 minutes in length (or around 10 pages of dialogue in Playscript format). Scripts should be properly formatted and submitted electronically in .doc (MS Word 2003) format. Please submit plays in 12pt Times New Roman font. We will occasionally accept other formats, but reserve the right to request that the playwright re-submit their script(s) in order to be considered. Please number the pages.
- Please include the following information on the title page of your submission: name, e-mail address, contact phone number, place of residence, and a brief synopsis of the play. Please also include a resume or CV, in a separate attachment from the play submission.
- The plays are to be performed in a small black-box theater, so please keep them minimal. Sets and tech requirements should be very simple; cast sizes should be limited to no more than 5. Any subject matter is acceptable, but please, no nudity.
- Plays should be emailed to submissions@thePRT.com. The deadline for consideration for Summer Shorts is 11:59 pm Eastern Time, March 31, 2011.
- The writers of the seven selected plays will be notified via email by the end of April, and granted the option of being produced. If the playwright is not currently a PRT Member, they are required to join PRT prior to production for a minimum of one season. Dues must be submitted before production can begin. If dues are not submitted in a timely manner, the play will be replaced in the lineup.
PRT is looking for a wide range of viewpoints, experiences, and stories to share and present on our stage, so ALL playwrights, regardless of age, gender or ethnicity, are highly encouraged to submit plays to this call.
So, playwrights, to pen (or keyboard) … we look forward to seeing your work!