Playwrights’ Round Table needs new scripts for its annual John Goring Memorial One-Act Fest and for Fringe 2012. Here are the guidelines and further info:
We have a pair of new script calls for the second edition of the John Goring Memorial One-Act Fest and for our Fringe 2012 scripts, beginning June 1 and running through July 31, 2011.
Unlike last year, although the two calls are concurrent, plays will only be accepted for one or the other call, but not both. See the guidelines for length considerations. We will eventually select one play for Fringe and three for Goring Fest (which will run in tandem with The Purse Thief, which was to be our Fringe play this year). We will accept scripts throughout June and July until 11:59 PM Eastern time on July 31.
Our reading committee will read and score the plays throughout this period, and once all scripts are in, they and the board will focus on the top-scoring plays to select the plays for the two productions. We hope to have the selected GoringFest plays announced by Aug. 21, with an announcement on the Fringe play selection to follow soon thereafter.
Following are the submission guidelines:
- Plays must be original, previously unproduced works; the only exceptions are for works previously done outside Central Florida that have only received a limited amount of production. Plays that have been previously workshopped or presented as a staged reading are acceptable.
- For Fringe scripts: Plays must be approximately 45-60 minutes in length, with 60 minutes being preferred. For the GoringFest scripts: Plays must be approximately 30-45 minutes in length.
- Scripts should be properly formatted and submitted electronically in .doc (MS Word 2003) format. Please submit plays in 12pt Times New Roman font. We will occasionally accept other formats, but reserve the right to request that the playwright re-submit their script(s) in order to be considered. Please number the pages.
- Please include the following information on the title page of your submission: name, e-mail address, contact phone number, place of residence, a brief synopsis of the play, and please note which script call it is intended for. Please also include a resume or CV, in a separate attachment from the play submission.
- The space where the plays will eventually be performed is a small, three-quarter thrust black box seating 60 people. Thus, keep the set minimal. Additionally, the performance space’s lighting is very basic, so please keep that in mind. Effects, set, or scene change-heavy scripts may have a difficult time getting produced.
- For Fringe scripts: Cast size should number no more than 8 — less is preferred, but we have made having that many people onstage work in this space. For GoringFest: Cast sizes should be kept minimal, 4 is the preferred number.
- Any subject matter is acceptable. Fringe plays tend to be a little more free-wheeling and this is encouraged for that call. We are open to a wide range of viewpoints, experiences, and stories to present on our stage, so ALL playwrights, regardless of age, gender, sexual preference, or ethnicity, are highly encouraged to submit plays to BOTH script calls.
- Plays should be emailed to submissions@thePRT.com. The deadline for consideration for both script calls is 11:59 pm Eastern Time, July 31, 2011. If you experience difficulty e-mailing scripts or attachments to this address, as a backup, please send them to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The writers of the selected plays will be notified via email, and granted the option of being produced. If the playwright is not currently a PRT Member, he or she is required to join PRT prior to production for a minimum of one season. Dues must be submitted before production can begin. If dues are not submitted in a timely manner, the play will be replaced.
The selected plays for GoringFest will be announced by Aug. 21, the selected Fringe play by Sept. 1. The Fringe play will be performed in May 2012 at the 21st annual Orlando International Fringe Festival, pending the group’s being selected in the Fringe Lottery. The selected plays for GoringFest will be performed in Studio B October 20-23 and 26-30, 2011, at the John and Rita Lowndes Shakespeare Center in Orlando.
These guidelines will also be posted to our main website, www.theprt.com, as well as our Facebook page, if you need to refer back to them.