These are auditions for Ragtime in Concert at the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center in Sanford, a fundraiser for the Seminole Repertory Theatre Company (which performs at the Wayne Densch Center):
Ragtime – in concert, Principal Auditions
Ragtime is an epic musical that tells three different stories of life in America, at the turn of the 20th century: Mother and Father and the family on the hill in New Rochelle, New York; Coalhouse Walker Junior, Ragtime musician, and Sarah, his beloved; and Tateh, the immigrant, and his daughter. Woven into the texture of the story are real, historical figures such as J.P. Morgan, Emma Goldman, Harry Houdini, Henry Ford, Evelyn Nesbit, and Booker T. Washington.
This musical will be performed with the Central Florida Community Choir (serving as the “ensemble” for the show), and a full orchestra.
Saturday, June 25, 1-4 p.m.
Monday, June 27, 7-10 p.m.
Callback on Tuesday, June 29, 7 p.m.
Please prepare 16 – 32 bars of a legit Broadway selection. Selections from Ragtime are ok. Please bring sheet music, in your key. Accompanist will be provided. CD’s are ok if you do not have sheet music.
- Mother (Soprano with lower notes, “G“ below middle “C“)
- Coalhouse Walker, Jr. (Afro-American, Baritone, low “G“ to high “A“)
- Tateh (Tenor)
- Sarah (Afro-American, Mezzo)
- Father (Baritone)
- Younger Brother (Tenor)
- Little Boy (age 9 – 12, must sing strongly to a mid-staff “D”)
- Grandfather (Baritone, mostly non-singing role except for a few full-company moments)
- Little Girl (Alto)
- Emma Goldman (Alto/Contralto)
- Booker T. Washington (Afro-American, Baritone/Bass Baritone)
- Evelyn Nesbitt (Alto)
- Harry Houdini (Lyric Baritone)
- Sarah’s Friend (Afro-American, wide range with a good belt, upper riffing essential)
- J.P. Morgan (Baritone)
- Henry Ford (Tenor)
- Willie Conklin (Tenor)
- Man 1 (playing Stanford White, Henson, a police officer, Conductor in #17, Reporter #1 in #24C, Newsboy #1, District Attorney Whitman) (Baritone)
- Man 2 (playing Harry K. Thaw, Admiral Perry, Jury Foreman, “A Man“, Fireman in #24B, Newsboy #2) (Baritone)
- Woman (playing Houdini’s Mother, Kathleen/Brigit, Reporter # 2 in #24C, Welfare Official, Baron’s Assistant) (Alto)
Directed and Conducted by Don Hopkinson, Jr.