Here’s an audition notice from the Cocoa Village Playhouse:
Saturday, August 13 · 11 am – 2 pm
Cocoa Village Playhouse, 300 Brevard Ave., Cocoa, Florida
Auditions for the musical Hairspray will be held at CVP on Saturday, August 13, 2011:
11 a.m. (children 10 to 12 years old)
1 p.m. (males 13 yrs. & older)
4 p.m. (females 13 yrs. & older)
Hairspray, Broadway’s big fat musical comedy hit!
Through special arrangements with Music Theatre International, N.Y., N.Y.
Book by Mark O’Donnell and Thomas Meehan
Music and lyrics by Marc Shaiman
Lyrics by Scott Wittman
It’s 1962, and pleasantly plump Baltimore teen Tracy Turnblad has only one desire – to dance on the popular Corny Collins Show. When her dream comes true, Tracy is transformed from social outcast to sudden star, but she must use her newfound power to vanquish the reigning teen queen, win the affections of heart-throb Link Larkin and integrate a TV network – all without denting her ‘do! Don’t miss Hairspray, Broadway’s musical-comedy phenomenon that inspired a major motion picture and won eight 2003 Tony Awards, including Best Musical. As The New York Times says, “If life were everything it should be, it would be more like Hairspray. It’s irresistible!”
Large multicultural cast needed!
- No experience necessary. We will train you!
- Please limit vocal auditions to a maximum of 1 minute or 16 bars of music. Sheet music is preferred (we provide pianist). CD accompaniment must not contain prerecorded vocals and must stop at 1 minute. No cassette tapes, please.
- If you do not have a prepared song, you will be asked to sing “Happy Birthday” with the piano accompaniment (a pianist will be provided). No a cappella vocals, please.
- You will also be given simple stage movement to follow, unless noted under the show title. Please dress comfortably with correct shoes to move.
- Gold Star performers who desire company roles may arrive at auditions prior to start time, complete an application and use your Gold Star Pass. This is not a guarantee of being cast. All performers seeking principal roles must complete the full audition.
Performances: September 23, 2011 – October 9, 2011
Complete season information and ticket request forms can be downloaded on our website at CocoaVillagePlayhouse.com.